Human Studies on the benefits of alkaline water
- Summary: The study evaluated 25 patients with gastrointestinal problems (chronic diarrhea, constipation, abnormal fermentation in intestines, indigestion, acid indigestion, etc.) They were either given alkaline water or clean water to drink.
- Results: It was confirmed that 88% of the people that drank alkaline ionized water had shown improvements compared to the people that drank clean water. The studies were for people that suffered from chronic diarrhea, abdominal complaints, etc.
- Limitation: This study was done on a small group of people (25). Researchers stated that there was no immediate effect from drinking the water. However, researchers noted that alkaline water was most effective for mild symptoms.
- Summary: Study examined people who were determined to get sufficient calcium from their diets to find out if alkaline water could reduce the rate of bone loss. The study compared alkaline water to acidic water to see if alkaline water worked better.
- Results: In calcium sufficiency, the alkaline water led to a significant decrease of PTH and of S- CTX (two important markers of bone loss). The acidic water with did not reduce bone loss.
- Limitation: In calcium sufficiency, the alkaline water led to a significant decrease of PTH and of S- CTX (two important markers of bone loss). The acidic water with did not reduce bone loss.
- Summary: A study was performed by evaluating natural alkaline mineral water with a pH of 8.7 to see if it reduced blood pressure in people with low magnesium and calcium levels.
- Results: The results of this study showed that waterborne minerals are a valuable source of nutrient uptake, and can reduce blood pressure in people with calcium and/or magnesium deficiency.
- Limitation: This study was performed on a small group (20 people) and was short term. Additional studies are needed to confirm the effect of alkaline water on blood pressure
Antioxidant benefits of alkaline water:
- Summary: Human DNA was subjected to oxidative damage using hydrogen peroxide to simulate the type of damage that free radicals do to DNA in the body.
- Results: Alkaline water was shown to enhance the antioxidant activity of ascorbic acid (vitamin C).
- Limitation: This result of this study suggests that alkaline water enhances the antioxidant benefit of vitamin C. This effect would need to be tested in humans to confirm this.